Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Shame of Nascar

Today we start a new chapter in the history of The Pits. As part of our Summer Six Pack Series, we unveil a new portion of our Countdown to Caution pre-race show: The Shame of Nascar.

This week's Shame of Nascar: Inventor of the "Calvin Peeing" Sticker, Eric Johnson.

Eric Johnson was born in a ramshackle hut in the small town of Chicago, Illinois. From an early age, he showed an interest in two things--Calvin and Hobbes, and Urination. But Johnson's formative years were spent with numerous arrests for public urination and jailhouse readings of There's Treasure Everywhere. Then, one day, inspiration struck.

"I was watching a race on TNN, and I thought to myself, 'you know what? I don't like that Jeff Gordon guy. He's always beating my favorite drivers, like Gary Bradberry and Hut Stricklin. How can I properly show my hatred? Man, he makes me as pissed off as Calvin!' Then, it came to me…and the rest, was history!"

Unfortunately, Johnson was unable to profit from his idea, as virtually everything about it was under strict copyright law (even the stream of urine, which is wholly owned by MillerCoors). But whether walking through a flea-market, or trolling eBay for gray-market graphics, his presence is felt.

"You know, people often wondered if things could get worse than the 'Hows my driving? Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT' bumper stickers. I proved them that no, it could get MUCH worse."

Join us next week when we take a look at another Shame of Nascar, Will Redding, the only person who actually liked Stroker Ace.


No comments:

Post a Comment